Came across this pretty badass application today. It’s called Synergy-Plus.
Basically it allows you to manage multiple computers, with a single mouse and keyboard (and monitor(s)…). All this without the use of VNC software, or KVM software.
So, what’s this mean? Well, if you’re like me and have a bunch of computers humming along you may want this. For example, one computer that you may be using Traktor or Ableton Live on, one that you’re checking stats on and one that you do your work on, you can quickly and easily drag your mouse across to each of them when required.
No more flipping switches, or connecting over a possibly unsafe connection.
It’s free, opensource, and fucking awesome.
Like I said – pretty fucking awesome, eh?
Here’s the feature list from their site in-case you’re curious.
- Move your mouse easily between computers
- Requires nothing other than existing ethernet
- Copy and paste between your computers
- No need to press any buttons (unlike KVM)
- You can still use multiple monitors on the same computer
- Lock the mouse to one screen temporarily (useful for games)
You can grab the code here, and make use of it yourself.
Comment by Mike Chiasson on 2010-03-30 13:15:04 -0500
You can do this to if you are running VM Ware/Hyper-V on your PC. This is assuming you have multiple monitors. It’s really handy for when I am running Ubuntu on one screen and Server 08 on my main.