If you’re like me, you love korean food. The flavours, the spice, and usually pretty healthy. The other night I decided to try and make a quasi-beef-bulgogi using pork chops with the ingredients I happened to have on hand and it turned out pretty great.
I’ve never actually had pork bulgogi, but the Internet tells me it’s a thing so I ran with it.
I thought I’d document it for others that want to make a quick, easy dish that tastes great.
INGREDIENTS - RICE
- .5 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup water
INGREDIENTS - PORK BULGOGI
- 2 Boneless Pork Chops
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp HOT Gochugang
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1.5 cup broccoli florets
- 1 onion chopped, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- .5 cup water
- 1 Egg
INSTRUCTIONS - RICE
- Put your rice in a sieve and run under cool water for 2-4 minutes until it runs clear. This is to remove the starch.
- Place your water and rice in a saucepan that you have a lid for.
- Add in a pinch of salt
- Add in about .5 tbsp of butter
- Bring to a boil
- As soon as it boils, turn the heat down to low and put the lid on.
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Turn off heat and wait 5 minutes
- Fluff with a fork.
INSTRUCTIONS - PORK BULGOGI
- Season your pork chops with some salt on both sides. Let sit for 10 mins on a cutting board.
- Heat up your cast iron pan with some butter in it.
- Cook both porkchops about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Set pork chops aside under some tinfoil while you do the rest.
- Now pour in your olive oil, chopped onion, green pepper, gochugang, sesame oil, salt, pepper, and broccoli into the pan.
- Cook on medium high until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add about .5 cups of water to the mixture.
- Slice up your pork chops into small strips and dump in the cast iron pan.
- Stir everything together and cook on med-low for another 4-5 minutes.
- Crack your egg and place it in the same pan on the side of everything so it gets some of that gochugang flavor.
- Place your rice on a plate.
- Spoon over the meat/veggie mixture over your rice.
- Place the egg on top of it all.